RibGrips Wheelchair Handrim Covers
With each set of RibGrips purchased, we'll send a bottle of our non-permanent tacky roll-on glue. For more information about glue use applications, please visit our FAQs page.
How to Measure
What size Handrim Cover do I order? Unfortunately, there is no "industry standard" for handrim sizes/shapes even within the same size wheel! This is why it is so important that you take the time to carefully measure your specific handrims that you're ordering our covers for. Simply watch our Installation Video and follow the process as it guides you along. Then, use the information you've found from the process to place your order; it's that easy!
Measure the outside diameter of the raw, uncoated handrim across the center hub.
- Unlike the vinyl or rubber coated handrims, RibGrips Handrim Covers can take a strike from a sharp objects without the material peeling off.
- The material is extremely resistant to tearing and separation. The material can be stretched up to 10x the design dimensions and return to original size without wear.
- For regular everyday use, we’ve found that our grip covers can be applied directly to clean raw 3/4” diameter tubing handrims and provide a secure hold with minimal rolling/twisting.
- With each order we provide a special tacky roll-on adhesive which can be applied to the cover prior to installation for more aggressive use. This roll-on glue provides a secure hold with extremely minimal rolling/twisting. The tacky roll-on glue can be reapplied many times.
- For sport use, we have found that Gorilla Clear Gel brand glue can be applied sparingly (dots or lines) on the clean raw 3/4” diameter tubing handrims prior to installation for a more permanent hold. This permanent hold is comparable to our original over-molded design.
We suggest using the roll-on adhesive option as it allows our grip covers to be removed, washed and re-installed or replaced quickly and easily without the need to remove the handrims from the chair.
- Passive User: No Roll-on Adhesive
- Aggressive User: Roll-on Adhesive (provided with each order)
- Permanent Hold: Gorilla Clear Gel Glue
- (Note: Gorilla Glue manufactures a variety of adhesives. Due to our proprietary material, we've found Gorilla Clear Gel is the only adhesive to secure RibGrips covers to raw aluminum handrims. If you choose a permanent hold, you must remove the water soluble tacky glue by washing both covers and handrims before applying.)
- RibGrips will fit over many coated handrims. However, the water-soluble glue we provide bonds differently to coating materials than it does to raw aluminum. Customers are reporting a variety of results with our glue bonding over coated handrims. We encourage all customers with coated handrims to try them out. We have found that SportAid.com tends to have the lowest price on raw aluminum handrims - if you choose to purchase a new set to work with RibGrips.
- During research and development, RibGrips users found that their RibGrips Handrim Covers lasted from 12-14 months before showing significant signs of wear.
- Further, aggressive users found that even after ribs became worn, the base layer of material still provided enhanced braking and propulsion.
- Yes, just as you would get from any coated handrim. Users may need to get used to applying less grip pressure when slowing and braking. Less contact and grip pressure is required with RibGrips (compared to other coated pushrims). This is due to the mechanical advantages of RibGrips' material and rib design.
- Excessive grip pressure may lead to friction heat due to the inherent “grab-you-back” properties of the material.
- Note: RibGrips weren't designed to be used with gloves, but we realize they may be needed for certain obstacles. Usage of gloves with RibGrips act as soft brake pads which will wear the rib discs down very fast.
- Yes, RibGrips' material is Latex-free and has antimicrobial protection.
- RibGrips Handrim Covers are 1/4 inch wider in diameter than the average rubber coated handrim. This maximizes gripping surface and ergonomic feel while still allowing users to fit through standard sized doorways.
- Testing and feedback from customers has concluded that RibGrips work very well in light rain! However, like any coated handrim, RibGrips will be slick in continuous rain.
- Please visit our Veteran Affairs page for information.
- Ribgrips are designed to self-clean and resist debris build-up with regular use. Extra cleaning and sterilization may be accomplished as follows:
- Use an alcohol solution to limit microbial proliferation. We recommend using a spray bottle and misting the ribs allowing the solution to get in between the rib discs. Then wipe once clockwise and counter clockwise 360° with a damp cloth.
- Using a soft plastic bristled brush along with liquid soapy water, brush once or twice clockwise and counter clockwise 360°. Allow 1 to 2 minutes to dry.