Find answers to our most frequently asked questions below. If you can't find what you're looking for please Contact Us and we'll get in touch with 24 hours.
Unlike other vinyl or rubber coated handrims, RibGrips Handrim Covers can take a strike from sharp objects without the material peeling off.
The Santoprene material is extremely resistant to tearing and separation. The material can be stretched up to 10x the designed dimensions and return to original size without wear.
- For regular everyday use, we’ve found that our grip covers can be applied directly to a clean raw 3/4” diameter tubing handrims with minimal rolling/twisting.
- For more aggressive use, we provide a special tacky roll-on adhesive with each order which can be applied to the cover prior to installation. This roll-on glue provides a secure hold with extremely minimal rolling/twisting. (See our Installation Videos)
- For sport use, we have found that Gorilla brand Clear Gel Glue can be applied sparingly (dots or lines) on the clean raw 3/4” diameter handrim tubing prior to installation for a more permanent hold. This permanent hold is comparable to our original over-molded design.
We suggest using the roll-on adhesive (multiple coats) option as it allows our grip covers to be removed, washed and re-installed or replaced quickly and easily without the need to remove the handrims from the chair.
- Passive User: No Roll-on Adhesive
- Aggressive User: Roll-on Adhesive (provided with each order)
- Permanent Hold: Gorilla Clear Gel Glue
- Is NOT recommended to install over coated handrims.
- Will NOT fit over OVAL or U Shape style handrims (Surge or Natural Fit).
We suggest installing RibGrips covers on a clean standard raw aluminum wheelchair handrim for best performance.
- Varies based upon user.
- During research and development, RibGrips users found that their RibGrips Handrim Covers lasted from 12-14 months before showing significant signs of wear.
- Yes, just as you would get from any coated handrim. Users may need to get used to applying less grip pressure when slowing and braking. Less contact and grip pressure is required with RibGrips (compared to other coated pushrims). This is due to the mechanical advantages of Ribgrips' material and design.
- Excessive grip pressure may lead to some friction heat due to the inherent “grab-you-back” properties of the material.
- Note: RibGrips weren't designed to be used with gloves, but we realize they may be needed for certain obstacles. Usage of gloves with RibGrips act as soft brake pads which will wear the rib discs down very fast.
- Yes, RibGrips material is Latex-free and has Antimicrobial protection.
- If you need more information, please contact us and we can provide MSDS Sheets.
- Testing and feedback from customers has shown that RibGrips wheelchair handrim covers work very well in light rain, mist, or foggy damp climate! However, like any typical rubber coated handrim, RibGrips will be slick in continuous wet weather conditions.
Ribgrips are designed to self clean and resist debris build-up with regular use.
Extra cleaning and sterilization may be accomplished removing or without removing the handrim cover:
Proposition #1: Without removing RibGrips from the handrim. Use an alcohol solution to limit microbial proliferation or liquid dish soapy water. We recommend using a spray bottle and misting the ribs allowing the solution to get in between the rib discs. Then wipe once clockwise and counter clockwise 360° with a damp cloth. Use a soft plastic bristled brush along with liquid soapy water, brush once or twice clockwise and counter clockwise 360°. Allow 1 to 2 minutes to dry.
Proposition #2: Removing the RibGrips from the handrim. Peel the RibGrips covers from the handrim and submerge them in a warm liquid dish soapy water. Let the RibGrips soak for approximately an hour. The water-soluble glue will dissolve. Allow adequate drying time after removing the covers from the soapy water. Take a dry rag and wipe the inside to remove any residue that may not have dissolved. You may leave the tacky glue residue on the handrim. The heavier coated and gummier tacky glue build up helps adhere the cover to the handrim. Apply the roll-on tacky glue and re-install handrim covers. Allow 10 mins for the roll-on tacky glue to tack up before installing. More instructions on installing are located on our website https://ribgrips.com/pages/installation