FAQsWill RibGrips fit over coated handrims?
How long do RibGrips Handrim Covers last before I have to replace them?
Will I get friction burns on my hands from RibGrips Handrim Covers?
Are RibGrips Handrim Covers Latex-free?
Why are RibGrips Handrim Covers wider than typical coated handrims?
How do RibGrips work in wet weather conditions?
I am a Veteran. How do I get the VA to order RibGrips Handrim Covers?
How do I clean my RibGrips Handrim Covers?
- Unlike the vinyl or rubber coated handrims, RibGrips Handrim Covers can take a strike from sharp objects without the material peeling off.
- The material is extremely resistant to tearing and separation. The material can be stretched up to 10x the designed dimensions and return to original size without wear.
- For regular everyday use, we’ve found that our grip covers can be applied directly to clean raw 3/4” diameter tubing handrims with minimal rolling/twisting.
- For more aggressive use, we provide a special tacky roll-on adhesive with each order which can be applied to the cover prior to installation. This roll-on glue provides a secure hold with extremely minimal rolling/twisting.
- For sport use, we have found that Gorilla brand Clear Gel Glue can be applied sparingly (dots or lines) on the clean raw 3/4” diameter handrim tubing prior to installation for a more permanent hold. This permanent hold is comparable to our original over-molded design.
We suggest using the roll-on adhesive option as it allows our grip covers to be removed, washed and re-installed or replaced quickly and easily without the need to remove the handrims from the chair.
- Passive User: No Roll-on Adhesive
- Aggressive User: Roll-on Adhesive (provided with each order)
- Permanent Hold: Gorilla Clear Gel Glue
- (Note: Gorilla Glue manufactures a variety of adhesives. Due to our proprietary material, we've found Gorilla Clear Gel is the only adhesive to secure RibGrips covers to clean raw aluminum handrims. If you choose a permanent hold, you must remove the water soluble tacky glue by washing both the covers and handrims before applying.)
- Not Recommended. We suggest installing RibGrips on a clean raw handrim for best performance.
- During research and development, RibGrips users found that their RibGrips Handrim Covers lasted from 12-14 months before showing significant signs of wear.
- Further, aggressive users found that even after ribs became worn, the base layer of material still provided enhanced braking and propulsion.
- Yes, just as you would get from any coated handrim. Users may need to get used to applying less grip pressure when slowing and braking. Less contact and grip pressure is required with RibGrips (compared to other coated pushrims). This is due to the mechanical advantages of Ribgrips' material and design.
- Excessive grip pressure may lead to some friction heat due to the inherent “grab-you-back” properties of the material.
- Note: RibGrips weren't designed to be used with gloves, but we realize they may be needed for certain obstacles. Usage of gloves with RibGrips act as soft brake pads which will wear the rib discs down very fast.
- Yes, RibGrips material is Latex-free and has Antimicrobial protection.
- RibGrips Handrim Covers are 1/4 inch wider in diameter than the typical coated handrim. This maximizes gripping surface and ergonomic feel while still allowing users to fit through standard sized doorways.
- Testing and feedback from customers has shown that RibGrips work very well in light rain! However, like any typical coated handrim, RibGrips will be slick in continuous rain.
- Please visit our Veteran Affairs page for information.
- Ribgrips are designed to self clean and resist debris build-up with regular use. Extra cleaning and sterilization may be accomplished as follows:
- Use an alcohol solution to limit microbial proliferation. We recommend using a spray bottle and misting the ribs allowing the solution to get in between the rib discs. Then wipe once clockwise and counter clockwise 360° with a damp cloth.
- Use a soft plastic bristled brush along with liquid soapy water, brush once or twice clockwise and counter clockwise 360°. Allow 1 to 2 minutes to dry.